life with an ostomy. candid, not sugar-coated. empowered, not embarrassed.

May 31, 2006

What a Mess!

Experiencing a fair bit anxiety lately and unable to sleep last night, I decided to take Gravol. I knew I would be drowsy in the morning, but figured it was worth it. I did not anticipate this.

At about 7am, I woke up and realized that my flange was leaking. Way too out of it to do a bag change, I went for the 'mefix' medical tape, sealed it up, and started dozing heavily again. When I woke up an hour or so later, the poo had soaked through the tape and weakened (to say the least) the seal. My nightie was stained and still I was just too drugged to do anything immediate or really effective about the mess. Instead I took off my PJs, wiped myself up in the bathroom, ate half a banana, covered my abdomen in a plastic bag, and put on some boxers to contain it all. A plastic bag. I wrapped myself up in a plastic bag and lied on my stomach, which then marinated in a squished layer of poo until I could muster up the strength to do a change.

It was about 40 minutes. The banana had time to work it's magic, which is something I use often to facilitate changes without spontaneious liquidy squirting, particularly if it's the morning which is when the poo is the most liquidy and slimy. Bile, guess.

Which come to think of it, is mostly what my abdomen was marinating in. No wonder I now have a bit of red bumpy rash on my tummy. sheesh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Torild said...

I can relate, but still cannot help laughing.

I often wake up in the middle of the night thinking I should go to the bathroom, but most of the time I just risk it and go back to sleep. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes shit happens (literally)..

Torild

9:01 a.m., June 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted you to know that I think you are an amazing individual. I love the way you are so descriptive and open about your predicaments. I love that you use humour to tell the story. Your courage is a beacon for others who struggle with the problem. I myself do not have that problem, but I admire you for having the power to laugh at life and all its mishaps! You are AWESOME!

9:35 p.m., March 30, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have four very close friends. I have known most of them for over 40 yrs. One of them I have told nothing.She thinks I can now do things because the meds work. Another you can just tell that she can't take any of the details. She gets that look on her face. Like when she thinks someone is gay. As good a person as she is it just doesn't fit into her world. The next friend is very bright and clear. She knows what was done to me and has been most helpful. But I keep the details to a minimum. The last friend, I tell her everything and I mean just about everything. She is in total wonder and laughs her ass off. She often tells me that she thinks about the stories I tell her and it makes her day better and that she is really proud of me.

10:20 a.m., December 17, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home