life with an ostomy. candid, not sugar-coated. empowered, not embarrassed.

Jul 18, 2006

Shit Happened... then it died

Well, I've evolved since last being here. I've discovered reality! I really have nothing to worry about. Everything that's got me all bunched up in mental knots is really relatively meaningless. In the end, it's all just a bunch of matter shifting from place to place in the world, at my job, in my head, in my gut. And I'm not letting the things outside of my control control my head and my tummy. I feel better. I haven't had any pain recently. Okay, once, but it was so brief I could have missed it if I was distracted.

And love. Love! Support! It's there! (big ups to my snuggly-poops and Mom)

And transition! I'm transisting! Leaving my terrible (albeit simultaneously terribly rewarding) job. Laughing (laughing!) at the fact my home is infested with fleas since returning from a few days away. Letting go, and embracing myself, my needs, and yes, the reality that my mental and physical well-being could actually be prioritized (guiltlessly!) over duty!

Finally, I perfected the camping poo! I pooed in one of those re-usable/disposable ziploc containers (with deordorizer in it) in the middle of the night, in the tent. Necessity fuelled my neurons to pump out that stroke of genius. I got several hours worth of diarrhea on our last night camping at a spot that was bang in between two outhouse, hence equally really far away from our tent. Saved myself four trips of outhouse navigation while half-asleep navigating through darkness. Felt pretty proud when I woke up well-rested, and sleeping on my tummy!

Now I'm starting to think more seriously about the perfect bedside toilet that I can have designed and installed when I get to that home-reno phase in life that I'm presuming I'll naturally have.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog - I've had an ileostomy since 1979, and I think I've had some version of everything which you've experienced. Apart from camping...and now I'm sleeping in a tent this weekend, with my daughter and her new boyfriend (who doesn't know about my bag.) God, I hope I don't have a disaster. Still, if there's a problem, my daughter can be relied on to help me out.

Your blog is excellent and I'll continue to read it. I like your attitude!

7:16 a.m., July 31, 2006

 
Blogger SC said...

I just stumbled on your blog and I'm very happy to have found it. My mom is in the hospital as I write this just having had a colostomy--she has had Crohn's disease for the past 15 years.

10:03 p.m., August 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home